Tuesday, August 13, 2013

An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green (2006)

The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.  Colin had always preferred baths; one of his general policies in life was never to do anything standing up that could just as easily be done lying down.

Child prodigy Colin Singleton has only dated girls who are named Katherine.  And he's been dumped by 19 girls named Katherine.  His best friend Hassan tries to help Colin with the aftermath of Katherine XIX.


Hassan stood up and abruptly moved to serious mode.  "So, what's the problem exactly?"


"The problem exactly is that she dumped me.  That I'm alone.  Oh my God, I'm alone again.  And not only that, but I'm a total failure in case you haven't noticed.  I'm washed up, I'm former.  Formerly the boyfriend of Katherine XIX.  Formerly a prodigy.  Formerly full of potential..."

Hassan has a solution to help Colin's heartbreak.


"Kafir, you have a very complicated problem with a very simple solution."

Follow Collin and Hassan as they go on an adventurous road trip.  I literally laughed out loud while reading this novel.  

Rating:  8 out of 10 stars
*language, sexual reference, crude humor

Goodreads

To check this read out at NOLS, click HERE!